On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 9:25 AM 4st nomic via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to make "retroactive" instead of retroactive
> changes, at least for certain scopes...! This is crazy to think about! I'm
> posting as a draft so it can undergo review.
> I will keep working thru this, but I do plan to eventually propose this if
> someone else doesn't first. I would like to have a timeline-based subgame.
>
> juan, you like complexity, I bet you could copy edit this like nobody's
> business :D
>
> ----
> [will remove square brackets upon release]
>
> Unfathomability is a secured tracked singleton integer switch, tracked by
> an office called the Phantom. Anything that depends on the value of
> Unfathomability is tainted. Anything that depends upon something tainted is
> itself tainted.
> [Unfathomability is supposed to be this switch that acts as-if it is
> retroactive, but it actually isn't. So winning via some unfathomability
> thing is still permanent, and thus the retroactive change doesn't escape
> the scope. Additionally... because it's retroactive, it marks things as
> tainted, because those things could also change, and depend on it.]
>
> Making something tainted is secured at power 1, and is ILLEGAL otherwise.
> Violating this rule is a Class 20 infraction of Destroying the Timeline.
> [I don't want players making arbitrary statements that affect other
> officers on the value of Unfathomability, directly or indirectly.]
>
> Anything tainted is tracked by the Phantom.
> [This might be a lot to track, depending on the actual games implemented
> with retroactivity installed]
>
> When a rule declares that an action can be done "by corruption", then, by
> announcement, after fulfilling any non-tainted requirements, it can be put
> onto the Timestream regardless of its tainted requirements. Its success
> does not matter until a Measurement.
> [I'm trying to get a little hook-in with retroactivity to simplify usage.
> Additionally, quantum gamestate until it matters (hence measurement) so
> players don't have to worry about actual values of things until
> Measurement, or if they are actively trying to squeeze something out of the
> timestream.]
>
> Actions CANNOT and SHALL NOT be tainted unless the action is done by
> corruption. [All the safety for this nonsensical shenanigans.]
>

> --
> 4ˢᵗ
> Deputy (AKA FAKE) Herald
> Uncertified Bad Idea Generator

HA ok Let's try again without overthinking it! (my bad).
Changes: keeping the taintedness. Changing what is tracked to only Values
and Events.
Added replaying the timestream, along with better definition.
Corruption is clearer in its effects.
----
Unfathomability is a singleton integer switch tracked by a new office
called The Phantom.
Anything that depends on the value of Unfathomability is tainted.
Anything that depends on something tainted is itself tainted.
Tainted values and tainted events are tracked by The Phantom.

Making something tainted is secured at power 1, and is IMPOSSIBLE and
ILLEGAL otherwise.
Violating this rule is a Class 20 infraction of Destroying the Timeline.

The Timestream is a list of events that are tainted.
When Unfathomability changes, tainted values other than Unfathomability are
set to their defaults,
then all events in the Timestream happen again in chronological order.
[Wow, to think we could invent a game that is in reverse chronological
order!!! That is my next drafting goal.]

When a rule says an action CAN be attempted "by corruption", it can be
attempted with support. Then, it creates an equivalent tainted event to
symbolize the effects of that action, then that event happens.
[You need a tiny bit of help to mess with the Timestream.]