> On Mar 12, 2024, at 10:48 PM, nix via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
> This is related to CFJ 4072, but you don't need to be familiar with all
> of the arguments there.
>
> I just want everyone's reading on one (crucial) element. R105 requires
> an "unambiguous and clear specification of the method to be used for
> changing the rule". For rule changes in proposals, what would you say is
> "the method", according to the rules? What would be a 1 sentence
> "unambiguous and clear specification" of that method?
>
> --
> nix

I raised this on Discord, but on list for posterity: I’m starting
to think it’s “by proposal”.

“By proposal”, as a method of doing something, is a term that Agorans
use fairly frequently. By way of a few examples: the Herald reports
wins by proposal, the Tailor’s quick reference says black ribbons
can be gained by proposal. Even more convincingly, 2575/3 reads, in
part: {
  The holder [of Distributor] CANNOT be changed except without
  objection or by proposal.
}

Which implies fairly strongly that “by proposal” is the same sort
of thing as “without objection”, namely a method.

And I think there’s a reasonable argument that, by labelling a
potential rule change as a “proposal”, the distribution message
has specified the rule change alongside the mechanism of “by
proposal”.

Gaelan