On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 7:13 AM Timon Walshe-Grey <m...@timon.red> wrote:

> Uh-oh, looks like I've just arranged to give myself two brand-new offices
> during the first week of exams. Fail.
>
> CoE: you have an indentation mistake in "spaaace! v5.2" which makes the
> section starting 'Enact a new rule "The Astronomor"' _part of_ the new rule
> "Galaxy Maintenance".

Accepted, revision:

ID: 8140
Title: spaaace! v5.2
Adoption index: 1.0
Author: twg
Co-authors: Aris, ATMunn, CuddleBeam, D. Margaux, G., Gaelan, Murphy,
            Ørjan, Trigon

Enact a new rule "Sectors" (Power=1.0) with the following text:

  Sectors are entities; each Sector has an ID number, which is (the
  number of existent sectors that were created before it + 1).

  Creating, destroying or altering Sectors is secured.

  If no Spaceship is in a particular Sector, then that Sector is
  "empty"; otherwise it is "occupied".

  Two Sectors are "adjacent" if their IDs differ by exactly 1.

Enact a new rule "Galaxy Maintenance" (Power=1.0) with the following
text:

  Ideal Sector Count is the number of Spaceships plus two.

  If there are ever fewer Sectors than the Ideal Sector Count, then
  the Astronomor CAN by announcement and SHALL in a timely fashion
  create a new Sector.

  If there are ever more Sectors than the Ideal Sector Count, then
  the Astronomor CAN by announcement and SHALL in a timely fashion
  destroy an empty Sector.

  Violation of this rule is the Class-3 Crime of Galaxy Neglect.

Enact a new rule "The Astronomor" (Power=1.0) with the following text:

  The Astronomor is an office. The Astronomor's weekly report
  includes, in addition to any information required by other rules, a
  list of all Sectors and their ID numbers.

Enact a new rule "Spaceships" (Power=1.0) with the following text:

  Spaceships are a class of fixed asset, tracked by the Astronomor,
  with ownership restricted to players. The following are Spaceship
  switches, tracked by the Astronomor:

  * Location (possible values any Sector, defaulting to the Sector
    with the lowest ID number);

  * Armour (an integer switch limited to values from 0 to 10
    inclusive).

  A Spaceship is "in" its Location. For a Spaceship to "move" to a
  Sector is for its Location to be flipped to that Sector. When a
  player registers, a Spaceship is created in eir possession. When a
  Spaceship is created, it immediately moves to the lowest-numbered
  empty Sector, if any.

  A Spaceship with an Armour of 0 is "Defeated". A Spaceship is
  "Pilotable" if it is neither Defeated nor engaging in a Space
  Battle.

  Any player CAN, by announcement, spend a coin to increase the
  Armour of a Pilotable Spaceship e owns by 1. This is called
  "Repairing" the Spaceship.

Enact a new rule "Spaceship Energy" (Power=1.0) with the following
text:

  Energy is a fixed currency, tracked by the Astronomor, with
  ownership restricted to Spaceships. If a Spaceship's Energy
  balance exceeds 20, any excess Energy it possesses is destroyed.

  When a Spaceship is created, 20 Energy is created in its possession.

  At the start of each Agoran day, each Pilotable Spaceship gains 2
  Energy. Any player also CAN, by announcement, pay 2 coins to grant
  a Pilotable Spaceship e owns 1 Energy.

  Any player CAN, by announcement, cause a Pilotable Spaceship e
  owns to pay 1 Energy to move to a Sector adjacent to its Location.

Enact a new rule "Space Battles" (Power=1.0) with the following text:

  Two players are "allied" if they agree to be allied or if one is
  the master of the other; otherwise they are "opponents". For the
  purposes of this rule, agreement includes both consent and
  agreement specified by contract.

  A player who owns a Pilotable Spaceship in the same Sector as one of
  eir opponents' Pilotable Spaceships CAN, by announcement, initiate a
  Space Battle between the two Spaceships. These two players are the
  "combatants" of the Space Battle, and the two Spaceships are then
  "engaging" in the Space Battle until it is resolved.

  A Space Battle CANNOT be initiated if either of the two involved
  Spaceships has been engaging in a Space Battle within the last 24
  hours.

  The resolver for a Space Battle is the player highest in the
  following list at the time of the Space Battle's initiation who is
  not a combatant in the Space Battle:

  1) the Astronomor;
  2) the Arbitor;
  3) the Prime Minister;
  4) the non-combatant who has least recently registered.

  For the initiation of a Space Battle to be EFFECTIVE, the initiator
  must correctly specify the resolver.

  In a timely fashion after a Space Battle is initiated, the
  combatants SHALL each once communicate to the resolver the amount
  of Energy they wish to spend in the battle, via any method that
  cannot be understood by the other combatant until e has also
  fulfilled this obligation. For example:

  * by publishing a salted cryptographic hash, and revealing its text
    after the other combatant has also communicated the Energy e will
    spend;
  * by sending the amount to the resolver in a private message;
  * by publishing the amount, if the other combatant has already
    communicated the Energy e will spend.

  Failing to do so is the Class-2 Crime of Being a Bad Space Captain.

  For the resolver to reveal the Energy a combatant is spending
  before both combatants have made their decisions is the Class-5
  Crime of Violating General Relativity.

  After both combatants have communicated the Energy they will spend,
  or if the time limit to do so has expired, the resolver CAN, and
  SHALL in a timely fashion, resolve the Space Battle by announcing
  the changes in each Spaceship's Energy balance and Armour
  (described below), and the Winner (if any) of the Space Battle.

  When a Space Battle is resolved:

  1) N Energy is revoked from each Spaceship, where N is the lesser of
     the Spaceship's Energy balance and the amount of Energy decided
     on by the Spaceship's owner, or 0 if the Spaceship's owner
     failed to do so;
  2) each Spaceship's Armour is decreased by X, where X is the lesser
     of the Spaceship's Armour and the amount of Energy revoked from
     the other Spaceship;
  3) the Winner of the Space Battle is the combatant, if any, whose
     Spaceship's Armour was reduced by a smaller amount than the other
     Spaceship's.

Enact a new rule "Fame" (Power=1.0) with the following text:

  Fame is an integer player switch tracked by the Astronomor, limited
  to values between -10 and 10 inclusive. Players with positive Fame
  are "Famous", and those with negative Fame are "Infamous".

  If a player is the Winner in a Space Battle against an Infamous
  player, eir Fame is increased by 1. Likewise, if a player is the
  Winner in a Space Battle against a Famous player or one with a Fame
  of 0, eir Fame is decreased by 1.

  Any player whose Fame is either 10 or -10 CAN win the game With 2
  Days Notice.

Perform the following action a number of times equal to (the number of
registered players + 2): Create a Sector.

Perform the following action for each player, iterating over them in
order of the days of the year (1 January to 31 December) on which they
most recently registered, breaking ties in order of the times at which
they most recently registered: Create a Spaceship in the possession of
that player.