status: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/#3809
(This document is informational only and contains no game actions).

===============================  CFJ 3809  ===============================

      CuddleBeam bid in an auction in the quoted message.

Caller:                        Gaelan

Judge:                         G.
Judgement:                     FALSE

History:

Called by Gaelan:                                 09 Feb 2020 19:04:49
Assigned to G.:                                   19 Feb 2020 15:20:21
Judged FALSE by G.:                               26 Feb 2020 23:03:55

Caller's Arguments:

I could imagine the message being parsed two ways:

A: I bid 15 coins in the action, for the purpose of winning myself
B: I bid 15 coins in the [nonexistent] auction for myself

If it’s A, CuddleBeam’s bid was probably EFFECTIVE: we include non-
normative commentary in BUS messages all the time, and we consider actions
EFFECTIVE even when they obviously don’t do what the actor was trying to
do.

If it’s B, it’s ineffective, because it’s trying to bid in a nonexistent
auction.

Caller's Evidence:

On Feb 8, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Cuddle Beam wrote:

> I bid 15 coins for myself
>
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM James Cook wrote:
>
>> This is an unofficial report on the ongoing zombie auction. All times
UTC.

>> Note: it is not clear that zombie auctions work. It is possible the
>> winners will not receive their lots but will still be required to pay.
>> The judgement of CFJ 3793 is expected to address this.
>>
>> The auction began 2020-02-06 at 18:23. The earliest it can end (unless
>> all the lots cease to be zombies) is 2020-02-10 at 18:43, and the
>> latest it can end is 2020-02-13 at 18:23.
>>
>> Lots:
>>
>> 1. Trigon
>> 2. Nch
>> 3. Cuddle Beam*
>> 4. Walker
>> 5. ATMunn
>>
>> *Master switch flipped during auction. Per the last paragraph of Rule
>> 1885, the winner of this lot will not need to pay and will not receive
>> the lot.
>>
>> Bids:
>>
>> Amount (Coins)  Bidder      Time (UTC)
>> --------------  ------      ----------------
>> 12              Jason       2020-02-06 18:43
>> 11              Falsifian   2020-02-06 18:25
>>
>> - Falsifian

Gratuitous Arguments by Falsifian:

FALSE, since Alexis pointed out in this same thread that this auction was
probably never initiated. (This argument assumes zombie auctions don't
work, which I think Alexis is planning to find soon in eir judgement of
CFJ 3793.)

Judge G.'s Arguments:

The judgements of 3793 and 3817, taken together, have found that the
auction in question was never initiated.  Therefore I find this
trivally FALSE.