Mengutip dari paragraf di bawah,

"The pileup in statistical arbitrage also suggests
what will next happen in the area, Lo says. People
who lost a huge amount of money will get out of the
strategy, he says. Volatility will increase because the
statistical arbitrage dampers are removed. Eventually,
the profitability of the strategy will rise and the
cycle may begin again, he says.-"

Best regards,
Jerry

-- In AhliKeuangan-Indonesia@yahoogroups.com, "muhammad_az" <m_alfa...@...>
wrote:

> `I realized that the behavioral finance folks and
> the efficient-markets folks were both right,'
>

> Evolving Markets
> Jason Grow
>
> `I realized that the behavioral finance folks and
> the efficient-markets folks were both right,' Lo says.
> MIT's Andrew Lo applied evolutionary theory to finance. Among the predictions
> of
> his adaptive-markets hypothesis: a boom of new hedge funds. By JON ASMUNDSSON
>
> When former federal reserve
> Chairman Alan Greenspan testified
> before Congress last October
> on the financial crisis, he
> described the shock he'd felt when the belief he'd
> had for more than 40 years in the self-sufficiency of
> the free-market system turned out to be wrong.
> "I found a flaw in the model that I perceived as
> the critical functioning structure that defines how
> the world works," Greenspan told lawmakers.
> For Andrew Lo, a finance professor at the Massachusetts
> Institute of Technology in Cambridge,
> it was a sad moment. That's because the upheaval
> that shook Greenspan wasn't necessarily proof
> that free markets were defective, Lo says. Rather,
> it reflects an evolutionary process. "Greenspan
> wasn't wrong before, and he isn't necessarily
> right now," Lo says. "It's just
> that he was observing different phases
> of the market cycle."
> Market cycles are the kinds of phenomena
> that can be explained by the
> adaptive-markets hypothesis, a financial
> theory Lo developed a decade ago that
> incorporates insights from the study of
> evolution in biology. Under the hypothesis,
> investors with similar aims or strategies—
> pension funds or market makers, for
> example—are "species." And as in nature, market
> species compete and proliferate when successful
> and get weeded out when unsuccessful. Not only can
> those processes drive booms and busts, they can also
> affect how markets themselves operate. "Markets
> are an evolutionary adaptation that humans developed
> to deal with the problem of allocating resources
> among large groups of individuals efficiently," Lo
> says. "Over long periods of time, there will be certain
> subperiods when markets behave in the way that we
> think they ought to—efficiently—but then there are
> other periods when they behave much more emotionally.
> That's what we're seeing now."
> besides teaching finance at MIT, Lo—who was
> born in Hong Kong, lived in Taiwan until age 5 and
> then grew up in Queens, New York—is director of
> the MIT Laboratory for Financial Engineering. The
> 49-year-old also is founder, chairman and chief
> scientific officer of Cambridge-based hedge fund
> AlphaSimplex Group LLC, which was acquired by
> Boston-based Natixis Global Asset Management
> in 2007.
> Lo says he developed the adaptivemarkets
> hypothesis in the late 1990s as a
> way to respond to behavioral finance's
> criticisms of the widely taught
> [...]

Kirim email ke