Fernando,
I'm not sure what variogram you were given that works only in 1d
I can think of two -- gamma(h) = 1 -cos(h) and gamma(h)=exp(-ah)*cos(h)
The problem with higher dimensions is that the 'size' of the hole, defined
as |min(C(h))|/ C(0) which takes the value 1.0 for the first of these
variograms , has to less dramatic in higher dimensions. The higher the
number of dimensions, the less important the hole size can be.
So ideally you would like a variogram that is legitimate in 2d but not in
3d. I can't remember any of those off hand - although they do exist.
The next best thing is one that works in 3d (and therefore also in 1d and
2d). This will have a smaller hole effect size than is theoretically
possible for 2d data. The one I'm giving you does attain the maximum hole
size allowed for 3d data. It is
gamma(h) = 1 - sin(r)/r
The problem is that it has quadratic behavior at the origin - so you might
need to add a small spherical or exponential variogram as suggested by
Isobel to ensure that your resultant random function model is not
differentiable.
Bye
Colin Daly
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: AI-GEOSTATS: hole effect
Dear list,
I am working with vegetation data, and I have got some variograms
that are characterized by the presence of a "hole effect" that I
would like to model. I have found in the manual of GSLIB (2nd
edition) a model with a periodical component that can be fitted to
such data, but the authors remark that this model valid only in one
direction. Since I am working with omnidirectional variograms in a
two-dimensional grid, I would be very grateful if somebody could give
me any indication about where I can find conditional negative semi-
definite (CNSD) models that incorporate a periodic component and that
are valid for two-dimensional data.
Many thanks in advance for your attention.
Best Regards,
Fernando T. Maestre
Departamento de Ecolog�a
Universidad de Alicante
Apdo correos 99
03080 Alicante
SPAIN
--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of
any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and
"unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message
body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org
This message may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
are not the intended recipient, then please notify the sender of this error.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or misuse of this information is
prohibited. Copyright Roxar limited.
--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful
responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe
ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org