Thanks Donald, I'll look into these.

Regards Digby Millikan.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Donald E. Myers
  To: Digby Millikan
  Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 4:24 AM
  Subject: Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Statistics book


  The Schaumns Outline book on Probability is not a bad place to start but I
think it does not include much about continuous probability distributions.
There is a book by Miller and Freund  on engineering statistics that is not
a bad choice for the rudiments of probability and statistics. Both of these
would provide some background on the expected value of a random variable
(however I think that the Schaums Outline book will only consider discrete
distributions)

  As for Lagrange multipliers, that is not really a part of either
probability theory or statistics, it is a part of optimization theory. You
will find some discussion of them in books on matrix theory, particularly
related to eigenvalue problems and maximization/minimization of quadratic
expressions (I think there is a Schaums Outline book on matrix theory)
subject to a constraint. In the case of the kriging equations, the
constraint is unbiasedness of the estimator.

  With respect to "least squares", there are two senses to this. One
corresponds to fitting data to a function via least squares, this is
essentially deterministic. The second is more like what happens in the
derivation of the kriging equations, i.e., a certain expected value is
minimized.

  Donald E. Myers
  http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm

  Digby Millikan wrote:

    Hello,
     I was wondering if some one could reccomend a book on statistics which
covers the
    basic theories of probability (expectations), least squared errors and
lagrange multipliers
    for understanding the derivation of kriging equations which can be found
in many texts.
    Regards Digby Millikan.

    I have searched the Internet and found the Schaums books which I might
have a look at,
    Thanks
    Regards Digby Millikan



--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful 
responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe 
ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND 
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org

Reply via email to