Dear members of ai-geostats,

I must apologize for posting such a ill-typed mail.
I have edited a new one and hope this will be more readable.
Thank you very much for your patience to read this long post.

I am new in geostatistics and this is my first time to use GSTAT.
My knowledge realted to geostatistics came from Burrough's
 "principles of GIS" and Issack's "Applied Geostatistics".
I have several questions about anisotropy modeling and
I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

I have an exhaustive dataset of  900*1000 grids with grid size 30 m
I want to use the GSTAT's unconditional simulation to generate random fields
that have similar spatial autocorrelation with my exhaustive dataset.
Here are my steps to generate such a random field:

1) log-transform my dataset since it is highly postively skewed.

2) Set the cutoff = 9000 and width = 30

3) Plot the omnidirectional experimental variogram and fit it.
    It has three componets and can be fit by the following equation:
    gamma (h) = 0.048 nug(0) + 0.324exp(1101)+ 0.086sph(247)

4) Plot directional experimental variograms of 36 directions with
    angle tolerance 10 degree.
    Here are the maximum partial range and  partial sill for
    different componets and total sill I found :

Direction  P.Sill    P.Sill   Range  P.Sill   Range  Total
                Nug()   Exp()   Exp()   Sph()   Sph()   Sill

       70     0.068   0.322   1604   0.093   413    0.483
       30     0.073   0.282   1398   0.111   464    0.467

     110     0.066   0.354   1333   0.063   280    0.482
       40     0.054   0.289   1318   0.113   357    0.457

       80     0.044   0.348   1577   0.100   268    0.491


     Here are the minimum partial range and  partial
     sill for different componets and total sill I found :

Direction  P.Sill    P.Sill   Range  P.Sill   Range  Total
                Nug()   Exp()   Exp()   Sph()   Sph()   Sill

    170     0.040    0.323   726    0.066    170   0.430
    170     0.040    0.323   726    0.066    170   0.430

     30      0.073    0.282   1398  0.111    464   0.467
    150     0.065    0.332   847    0.046    231   0.442

    170     0.040    0.323   726    0.066    170   0.430

5) Perform unconditional simulation.



My questions are:

1) Is that make sense to log-transform my dataset? My intuition is that
    since the result I get from a unconditional simulation is normal
    distributed. So I shall provide a spatial information comes from
    normal distributed dataset. Is my thougt correct?

2) The nugget varies with different orientations. How can this happen?
   (the nugget is omnidirectional as far as I know)
    Shall I use the nugget from omnidirectional experimental variogram or
    the average nugget from different orientations for the simulation?

3)  The orientation of the maximum range for exp() and sph() componets
     is different.
     Is it correct that I model them independently? for example:
     0.322 Exp(1604, 70, 0.47) + 0.11 Sph(464, 30, 0.53)

4) For geometry anisotropy,
     the maximum and minimum ranges seems not perpendicular exactly
     to each other.
     How shall I determine the anisotropy ratio?
    (I use the ratio of maximum range and range perpendicular to it)

5)  I had read previous dissusions related to anisotropy modelling in
     ai-geostats and gstat-info.
     But I am afraid that I did not catch the points.
     How shall  I deal with the zonal anisotrpoy in combination with
     geometry anisotropy?
     Model it from total sill or model it for each componet independently?
     for example: 0.032 Exp(133300, 20, 0.01) + 0.002 Sph(35700, 130, 0.01)



I have also attach my command file and hope you can correct me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#
# gstat command file, Win32/Cygwin version 2.3.7 (12 July 2002)
# Fri Oct 18 04:41:45 2002
#
data(ln_zn_dummy): dummy, sk_mean=0, max=10;
variogram(ln_zn_dummy):
0.068 Nug(0) + 0.322 Exp(1604, 70, 0.47) + 0.11Sph(464, 30, 0.53) +
0.032 Exp(133300, 20, 0.01) +  0.002 Sph(35700, 130, 0.01);

mask: 'mask';
method: gs; # Gaussian simulation instead of kriging
predictions(ln_zn_dummy): 'drandom';
variances(ln_zn_dummy): 'ran_van';
set nsim=100;


set cutoff = 9000;
set width = 30;
set fit = 2;
set output = 'errs.est';
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks very much for your help and reading such a long post.

Pei-Chun  Chang

__________________________________________________

Pei-Chun  Chang
Graduate Student
RS/GIS Laboratory tel: +81 (298) 53-4955,  +81 (90) 4455-2475
Master's Program in Envionmental Sciences
University of Tsukuba,
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
__________________________________________________

--
* To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful 
responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe 
ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND 
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org

Reply via email to