Hello All

The common 'Normal Score' transform assumes one
population. Transformations such as rank or logarithm
do not assume one population.

The best way to identify likely mixtures is with
programs such as Peter MacDonald's Mix (cited in
Ruben's email I think):

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/peter/mix/mix31.html

or with probability plots. Many software packages have
these and mixtures are easily identifiable by
break-points or points of inflexion in the plot.

For those (like myself) without easy access to
libraries, there are a couple of papers which describe
(geological) applications and using a combination of
indicator and ordinary kriging to solve some problems.

Papers can be found at
http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/resume
follow the publications link. Look for my 1974 paper,
now available in pdf format, the 1993 IMGC paper and
the 1992 Troia paper with Jonathan Vieler.

We have had good experience with this approach for 30
years in fields as diverse as mineral resource
estimation and seabird preservation.

Isobel Clark
http://geoecosse.bizland.com/courses.htm

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful