Dear oh Dear, I am failing to communicate (again).

As far as I know, I didn't say you could not use
geostatistics when a trend is present! I regularly use
Universal Kriging for data with a trend and kriging
with an external drift when the trend is governed by
an outside factor (see free tutorial at website).

The question originally posed what how does one decide
that geostatistics is not appriate. The answer
Gregoire and myself gave was "when you cannot get a
semi-variogam graph" after trying all possible
variations of transforms, interpretation and
de-trending.

I recently worked with an orange grove in Florida
(bugs on oranges) which showed no decent
semi-variogram even though rough inverse distance maps
looked reasonable. It turned out they had two
different kinds of tree in the orchard. Separating the
'rootstocks' yielded a vastly improved semi-variogram
and decent geostatistical analysis.

My additional point was that failure to obtain a
semi-variogram model simply means that there is no
'distance related' structure. It does NOT mean there
is NO spatial structure.

Isobel
http://geoecosse.bizland.com/softwares