Thanks Donald,

I think what you mean by "adequately" is the sampling with CSR (complete
spatial randomness) -- please correct me if I'm wrong. But I still have
problem about estimating the variance. I mean, even if we sample with
CSR, wouldn't the sample variance still be smaller than the sill value?
I'd think that unless we restrict our sampling location far enough
from each other, the sample variance calculated by S^2 will not reach
the sill value. . .


Meng-ying

> If correctly (or maybe you would want to say "adequately" ) estimated,
> the sill of a second order stationary random function would be the
> variance of the random function. In general, the sample variance will
> not estimate the sill (because you are not using random sampling).
>
> Donald Myers
> http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm
>
>

* By using the ai-geostats mailing list you agree to follow its rules 
( see http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm )

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the 
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats

Reply via email to