Dear Perry Collier
I`m interested in the second question: what is the difference between a dataset
with a trend and a non-stationary dataset?
Without clearly pointing out about which kind of stationarity we are talking
(second order, intrinsic or generalized intrinsic), we need stationarity
(well !!! togheter with ergodicity) for some statistical index (in this case a
index about spatial variability) to perform inference. From my perspective the
dualism trend-residual makes possible always (or not?) to explain   non
stationarity in spatial variability in term of presence of a trend: this trend
could be global as well as local: it is only a matter of scale.The point is: we
have reasons or so many data to use a complex trend model?

In particular this question makes me to think to a point. Very often people who
use Universal Kriging do this:
1) detrend data globally (same trend coefficients for all spatial domain)
2) calculate a residual variogram
3) perfom Uk with local search windows (inside which the trend coefficients are
calculated i.e. the trend is filtered locally)
This doesen`t seem to me correct: I think (maybe, if you have many data IRF-K
approach works better) that you can not
one time calculate trend globally and the other time locally: it could happen
that globally you need a quadratic trend while locally a linear trend model is
enough. What about that?

Sincerely,
Sebastiano Trevisani