From: seba [ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 30 August 2005 18:17
To: ai-geostats@unil.ch
Subject: [ai-geostats] natural neighbor applied to indicator transforms

Dear list members

I would like to have some comments, suggestions or critics about the following topic:
building a (preliminary) local uncertainty model of the spatial distribution of discrete (categorical) variables by means of natural neighbor interpolation method applied to indicator transforms.

From my perspective, interpolating  indicator variables (well, at the end an indicator variable is the probability of occurrence of a given class) by means of a method like natural neighbor is an easy and quick way to build a (preliminary) model of local uncertainty of the studied properties, avoiding problems of order relation violations.
In my specific case I apply natural neighbor interpolation to indicator transforms representing lithological classes in the same way in which direct indicator kriging is applied. In this way, looking at the spatial distribution of the probability of occurrence of lithologies (or at the distribution of the lithological classes, if some classification algorithm is applied) I can have a first idea of the spatial distribution of lithologies. Clearly this method is utilized only as an explorative and preliminary data analysis tool.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

S. Trevisani

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats