AI-GEOSTATS
Dear list,

I've little problem concerning the use of spatial information when it
comes to averaging data.

I've measured 13 datapoints (a vegetation parameter) in a regular grid
as shown in the bottom part of this figure:
http://users.pandora.be/requested/images/site.jpg

There is no spatial relation what so ever between them (tested for it,
in every possible way). So, just averaging this data wouldn't be wrong.

Now comes into play extra data collected in the field that complicates
it all. I also have real coverage for the data as shown in this picture:

http://users.pandora.be/requested/images/vegetation-cover.jpg

(black is vegetation covered ground)

Is there a way to merge the measured data with the coverage data in a
correct way? What I've done sofar is that I've taken all the
measurements (38x 13 datapoints) and made an average (best fit for this
population/group of data) and used this average and the percentage cover
within every 20x20m box -as depicted in the second figure- to get a
better estimate then I would get by just averaging the measured data
within every 20x20m box. 

Is it wrong to do and if so, is there a way to incorporate the extra
information (being the coverage) to make my local 20x20m averages more
accurate?

Best regards,
Koen

--
Koen Hufkens, Phds
Department of Biology
Research Group of Plant and Vegetation Ecology (PLECO)
University of Antwerp
Universiteitsplein 1, B-2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

+ To post a message to the list, send it to [email protected]
+ To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@ jrc.it with no subject and 
"unsubscribe ai-geostats" in the message body. DO NOT SEND 
Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
+ As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary of any 
useful responses to your questions.
+ Support to the forum can be found at http://www.ai-geostats.org/

Reply via email to