Dear List:

A reviewer (apparently a geostatistics expert) commented on the nugget
effect in a conditional simulation (using sgsim) as follows:

"To maintain the observed values in the simulation process is synonymous
with neglecting the nugget effect. For skewed data, the nugget effect can be
considerably larger in observation space than in transformed N(0,1) space,
and the omission of the nugget effect in the simulation procedure should be
justified."

I couldn't find reference to such synonymy in the Duetsch and Journal GSLIB
book nor in Pierre Goovaerts book. Of course, the second sentence in the
comment is true, but I still don't understand how a conditional simulation
neglects the nugget. I  used a nugget, based on the empirical nscore
transformed variogram, of about 20%. This is included in the sgsim parameter
file. Can someone explain to me in what way the conditional simulation
procedure using sgsim is 'neglecting the nugget effect', or direct me to a
reference?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Paul Walline
National Marine Fisheries Service