Hi Dan

Thank you for your reply, I was forgetting that I had to send another mail about this issue..... so your mail
is not too late!!!

I understand (or I think to!) your points and also the Nicholas Nagel's ones.
Following your considerations and my own experiences with
different data sets related to different physical-chemical processes
I'm oriented  to draw the following practical considerations.

I think that it could be useful to make a distinction  between
"poor" (for example few sparse data of water levels) data sets and "almost exhaustive" data sets (for example topographic LiDAR data). Clearly it is not easy to say where the limit among the two cases lies: we should know the real spatial
variability to state the effective informative content of our data.

From my point of view, in the case of a "poor" data set the choice of the trend model should be based on our expert knowledge (knowledge about the processes). In this case, if there is no physical reason to do something different, the trend model should be fitted globally (better if by means of generalized least squares) and consequently the universal kriging should be performed using all data and not by means of a local search. For sure also a Bayesan approach could be followed.

Differently, in case of a "almost exhaustive" data set, above all when related to a non stationary spatial distribution, things are a little bit different. Theoretically I would like to have a method which is able to define the smallest moving search windows in which is possible to choose and automatically fit the most "simple" combination of trend and, eventually non isotropic, covariance function (or variogram). Practically, considering also the computational cost, I guess that good results could be achieved detrending data with local polynomials and performing ordinary kriging on the residuals, with a globally or, better, a locally fitted covariance function. The choice of the search window, the degree of polynomials, the bounding values for covariance function fitting should be based on cross validation and the relative diagnostics (but with massive data this could be quite costly from the computational point of view). Finally, in the case of "almost exhaustive" data set it is also possible to think to perform some preprocessing of data before interpolation. For example data could be classified considering their spatial variability. And for sure, before interpolation, zones of discontinuity, or abrupt changes, could be delineated.

I would like to know if you agree with this considerations or if you have other operational suggestions.

Sebastiano