Hi all,

I partly
agree that different users request diverse methods for working with data,
applications and outputs. But there is no war between coding and clicking! Some
software like AutoCAD are good example of interactive combination of scripts
and GUI. Of course, you can develop more when you use LISP or VBA.

Why such an
application for Geostatistics seems to be unavailable?

>From my
point of view, there is no obstacle to do this. When I use Matlab for the
purpose, I've paid much money! Unfortunately that is so slow because of
script-based
compiling. Although, I am sure the structure of the auto-debugging system for
every part of code (say toolboxes) is so old, weak, time wasting, and
un-optimized
choice! That is a fundamental weakness, which some software companies try to
stay behind the CPU speed!

As a
summary, there are many applications which have showed us a fully matched
combination of command line and clicks. And all of users, novices to
super-professionals have enjoyed from using them.

Usage of R
is so easy, when you can memorize some keywords, initially with the knowledge
of the basics of programming. The same path is for using Matlab, Fortran and
most of scientific programming languages.

Open MS
Office and start typing; you will find anything you need easy to learn and use.
Do you really think the calculation of variogram, for example, is so complex
than managing of typing? I don't think so! Please don't say there are thousands
of thousands staff and professional working on each aspect of that performance!
I cannot accept this as a definite reason for success!

Performance
checking based on student’s feedback is a rough understanding of the problem,
due to anything you choose, most of times, there is no choice for students!
Obviously, you can describe so better and natively visual some of problems,
say, distance understanding, with ArcGIS than R.

Using
ModelBuilder in ArcGIS improves your understanding module-by-module not step by
step! For this R is so better!

There is no
free application if you measure the invaluable time that you are spending for
1) finding
cheap or free apps,
 2) matching yourselves and your problems with
all strange restrictions of freeware apps,
3) accepting
weak, unprofessional and not-usable outputs.

Anyway,
professional users have no difficulty with using any software, due to their
ability to code their ideas even by e.g. Windows Scripts!

Finally, I
should say, there is no problem to create from the scratch such an application,
beautiful high performance user-friendly such as Office, powerful and
comprehensive such as Matlab, fast and reliable such as Photoshop, light such
as Surfer, ... for geostatistical analysis. That application will be completely
customizable (menus, dialogs), improvable (plug-ins, add-ons), fully integrated
(no jumping/flying forms!), fast as can be (no respect to old methods,
well-known but too weak algorithms), and ... (may you wish to add some ideas!

Regards,
 Younes