From: Ai [mailto:ai-boun...@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in] On Behalf Of gatak
singh via Ai
Sent: 01 August 2017 11:11
To: Share, empower &Enrich
Cc: gatak singh; jnuvision
Subject: Re: [Ai] Abhishek Behl reported in Hindustan Times yesterday: Gurgaon:
Blind banker gets 10-year jail for raping blind woman

sorry for discussing again but I couldn't stop commenting on this matter.
I know few examples where the girl has not accepted the proposal of the boy,
but when the boy got a government job, she threatened to marry her otherwise
she would go to the court aledging that he promised to marry but did not keep
up his promise. so boy had to marry her due to fear of loosing his government
job.
in this matter, boy had promised that he would marry that girl. what I
understand is that girl may have agreed for sex based on this promise.
but in any case, boy should have married her. but he did not marry, that's his
mistake. but this should be called cheating rather than rape.
someone said that women feel shy or disgusted to go to courts saying that she
was raped. but I dont agree to this. that women should have immidiately gone to
the court when she was raped for the first time.
from my understanding, women dont go to courts because if this comes in the
media and if everybody comes to know about that, nobody would marry her. but in
this case, she was already married once, and there wasn't any matter to fear.
this is nothing but hipocracy at its peak. if he had married her, she would
have never complained. here, he did not marry, hence it automatically turned
into rape case. rape is rape. women can change the situation however they want.
it was not rape before 2 years, then how can it be called rape now?
I am not in anyway supporting the rapists. but just speaking about this case.
I wonder what was the proof for the marriage promise that he had made.
was there any recording or document? or judge just believed her oral words?
I can understand the psychology of the female members on this list.
they can't speak against that aledged female victim, because females should
support the females. but the fact is that men are often exploited legally due
to the biased laws.
someone said that father raping his own daughter, brother raping his own sister
comes to light after so many years. this happens because the girl will be minor
in that situation. in this case, girl was not minor. she had 8 year old child,
which means she was matured enough.
so, as mahajan sir said, both of them are equally culprits in this case.
the best way to escape from the discussion is to just say, 'how can we talk
when we are not in that situation'.
anyway, I feel that boy should had kept up to his promise, then it would have
been never called rape. but this punishment is very harsh on him, who was not
100% culprit.

On 7/26/17, avinash shahi via Ai <ai@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in> wrote:
> http://www.hindustantimes.com/gurgaon/gurgaon-blind-banker-gets-10-yea
> r-jail-for-raping-blind-woman/story-xQAJGpWmso2ioCesDHV2UM.html
>
> A Gurgaon district court on Monday awarded 10 years rigorous
> imprisonment to a blind man, a trainee probationary officer at a
> public sector bank, who was found guilty of raping a 33-year-old blind
> widow repeatedly on the pretext of marriage.
>
> The court also imposed a penalty on convict Saurabh Kapoor, 35, who
> was convicted of rape under Section 376 of the IPC.
>
> Additional Sessions Judge Rajni Yadav, while pronouncing the quantum
> of sentence, said that given the inhumanity of the act, it was
> required to impose upon the convict substantive and stern sentence
> that would commensurate with the gravity of the offence and also serve
> as an example to others.
>
> It is to be noted that since both the victim and the accused were
> blind, the court had relied upon ‘voice identification’ that helped
> the woman to identify Kapoor, a resident of Mayur Vihar in Delhi.
>
> On the pretext of meeting an advocate, Kapoor had taken the victim on
> May 30, 2015, to a guest house in Gurgaon and raped her there for the
> first time. He later continued to abuse her, promising marriage.
>
> The victim, who has an eight-year-old daughter, worked in a private
> company in 2015, when the incident happened. She is currently
> unemployed.

> Public prosecutor Arvind Sharma said that the convict tried to seek
> leniency from the court on account of his blindness.
>
> “The accused also argued that he is a government servant and highly
> qualified, but all these arguments were rejected by the court, which
> awarded him 10 years of imprisonment,” said Sharma, adding that the
> court has imposed a penalty of Rs 10,000, out of which Rs 8,000 would
> go to the victim. The remaining Rs 2000 would go to the state. If the
> accused fail to pay the fine, he will face one more year of
> imprisonment.
>
> The judge, in her order, also stated that undue sympathy to impose
> inadequate sentence to the accused would do more harm as it will
> undermine the public confidence.
>
> “Keeping in view the offence committed by the convict, I am not
> inclined to take a lenient view against him and release him on
> probation. He has raped a young woman who was helpless, defenceless,
> vulnerable and an easy prey who trusted the convict so much that she
> surrendered herself to him. He used, violated and exploited her body,”
> the court said.
>
> District attorney Lal Singh Yadav said the court has given a strong
> message to the society. “The convict had sexually exploited the victim
> on the pretext of marriage,” he said.
>

> --
> Avinash Shahi
> Doctoral student at Centre for Law and Governance JNU
> Disclaimer:
> veracity;

> [...]

gatak singh
QA test engineer at VMware India pvt. ltd.

Email:
gataksingh.gurud...@gmail.com
gutta...@vmware.com

WhatsApp: