this is indeed a pertinent problem showcasing the ignorance of our elite
institutions and their "intellectual intelligentsia". And in the state
universities, the seats are not reserved for the disabled since they are
not perceived as potential buyers, of course, for purchasing the
appointments!

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM, avinash shahi via Ai <
ai@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in> wrote:

> When universities make mockry of disability law: It has become a trend
> in Indian universities where they don’t advertise posts for the blind
> candidates or dilute the recruitment procedure and reject them despite
> the seat reserved for them. And the negativity against disability is
> heavily engrained in the mind of non-disabled university authorities
> who are ignorant and illiterate about how blind people read and write?
> They wonder during the interview that ‘are you PhD’? and embarrassing
> shock: ‘is it really possible’? ‘will you be able to recognize the
> students’ faces’? ‘how ‘will you manage to come to the class’? as if
> these questions are very vital to judge one’s academic depth and
> credentials. I feel all teachers of colleges/state /central
> universities need to undergo very basic disability sensitization
> workshops. And this arrangement should be institutionalised at every
> university. The Human Resource Ministry needs to take a call before it
> is too late? And the UGC should cut funds or stop funding of
> institutions which violate the disability quota in recruitment. Out of
> 43 central universities around 35 universities have not recruited a
> single disabled faculty in any of its department. And the scenario is
> more scary at the state universities where their recruitment notices
> exclude persons with disabilities from applying.  The latest
> discrimination has been noticed at the Central University of Himachal
> Pradesh where out of 84 seats no seat has been reserved for the blind
> candidates? And there has been hardly any protests/demonstrations at
> the UGC/MHRD for the emplementation of disability quota in the
> appointments in the universities.  http://www.cuhimachal.ac.in/
>
> --
> Avinash Shahi
> Doctoral student at Centre for Law and Governance JNU
> Celebrating International sight day Oct. 12 and World White Cane day Oct 15
>
> Disclaimer:

> sent through this mailing list..

> https://www.mail-archive.com/ai@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in/maillist.
> html

*"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people,
but the silence over that by the good people"
**- Martin Luther King, Jr.*

Dr. K. Muruganandan,
Assistant Professor,
P.G. Department of English,
Thiruvalluvar University Constituent College of Arts and Science,
Kallakurichi-606213,
Villupuram District,
Tamilnadu,
India.