Accessibility has also to be a necessary prerequisite for jails too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ai [mailto:ai-boun...@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in] On Behalf Of
Shireen Irani via Ai
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 12:35 AM
To: disability-studies-india; Connect, share and enrich
Cc: Shireen Irani
Subject: [DKIM Failure] [Ai] Dr. Saibaba's Letter From Jail: "I Do Not Think I
Will Survive This Winter"

NEW DELHI: Dr G.N.Saibaba Professor at Delhi University and now in
solitary confinement in Nagpur Central Jail has spoken out for help.
Disabled, he has
been branded a Maoist and sentenced to life imprisonment. The
sentencing has been controversial with many who supported and defended
the Professor insisting
that he has been persecuted by governments for raising a voice against
paramilitary operations in the primarily tribal Adivasi belts of
central and eastern
India.

The government has not entertained these arguments, and nor have the
courts, with THE Professor, 90 per cent disabled and suffering from
multiple ailments,
himself writing in this letter to his wife Vasantha that he might not
be able to survive the winter months in jail. He has been convicted
under the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act in what those convinced of his innocence
describe as a travesty of justice.

The letter was written on October 17 and received by his wife on
October 25. It reads as follows:

Dear Vasantha

I am frightened to think of coming winter. Already I am shivering with
continuous fever. I do not have a blanket. I do not have a
sweater/jacket. As temperature
goes down excruciating pain continuously in my legs and left hand
increases. It is impossible for me to survive here during the winter
that starts from
November.

I am living here like an animal taking its last breaths. Somehow 8
months I managed to survive. But I am not going to survive in the
coming winter. I am
sure. It is of no use to write about my health any longer.

In any case, please finalize the senior counsel by or before the end
of this month. Then inform Mr. Gadling to file my bail application in
the first week
of November or last week of October itself. You remember if this is
not done in this way, my situation will be out of hands. I am not
responsible. I am
making clear to you. Hereafter I am not going to write about it any longer.

You should talk to Mrs Rebeccaji and Nandita Narain. You also talk to
Prof. Haragopal and others. Explain the entire situation. You need to
hurry up.

I am feeling so depressed for requesting you all so many times like a
beggar, a destitute. But none of you are moving an inch, no one
understand my present
condition. No one understands 90% disabled person is behind bars
struggling with one hand in condition and suffering with multiple
ailments. And no one
cares for my life. This is simply criminal negligence, a callous attitude.

Please take care of your health. Your health is my health and entire
family’s health. There is no one else to take care of your health for
now. Till I
am in your presence, you have to take care of your health without any
negligence.

Lots of love

Yours

Sai

Source:

http://www.thecitizen.in/index.php/NewsDetail/index/1/12100/Saibabas-Letter-From-Jail-I-Do-Not-Think-I-Will-Survive-This-Winter

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.