Autumn Programs

The Montezuma Audubon Center's autumn programs are a great way to connect with
nature and spend time with friends and family. Birding hikes and van tours,
Happy Owl-ween, home school programs and special events will help you
experience the millions of waterfowl, shorebirds, songbirds and birds of prey
that migrate through the Montezuma Wetlands Complex.

Space is limited. Registration required.

Call 315-365-3588 or e-mail montez...@audubon.org<mailto:montez...@audubon.org>

Oct. 11, Thursday, 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Sunset Birding Walk at South Spring Trail, Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge
The peak of the bird migration is upon us. Join us for a casual, 1-mile stroll
through a forest and wetland to see dozens of waterfowl and songbird species as
they feed and rest in these unique habitats. The meeting point is the South
Spring Pool Trail, Route 89 near Lay Road. Binoculars and field guides will be
provided. Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $20/family. FREE for Friends of the
Montezuma Wetlands Complex. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

Oct.  20, Saturday 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Happy Owl-ween

We are happy to welcome back Jean Soprano, of Kindred Kingdoms Wildlife
Rehabilitation, who will have live owls on display during her presentation
about the silent hunters of the night. Then, join our staff for a hike through
the forest and grassland to explore the night sights and sounds. Fee: $5/child,
$10/adult, $25/family.

Oct. 27, Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Huckleberry Swamp Hike

Participants will learn about one of Wayne County's hidden treasures-
Huckleberry Swamp located in North Rose, NY. Join us for a leisurely walk along
an elevated board walk through the swamp and explore the birds and other
wildlife that live there. The foliage will be beautiful too! Binoculars and
field guides will be provided. Space is limited in our van or you can meet us
at the swamp. Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $25/family. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS
REQUIRED.

Nov. 3, Saturday, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Cayuga Lake Wine and Wings Tour
Cayuga Lake is an Audubon designated Important Bird Area because of the
incredible number of waterfowl that use the lake during migration seasons.  Hop
in our van for an excursion to the north end of the lake where up to 30 species
of ducks, geese and swans can be seen.  During the tour, we'll stop at Apple
Station Winery for wine tastings and learn how agriculture and wildlife thrive
side by side. Binoculars and field guides will be provided. Must be 21+. Fee:
$20/adult, includes wine tasting fees. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

Nov. 17, Saturday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Photography Class & Tour led by Zaphir Shamma.
Ever wonder how to take the best picture with your camera?  No camera is too
big or small to take the perfect picture!  Join us for a traveling photography
class lead by Western NY wildlife photographer, Zaphir Shamma. The class begins
with a presentation with overviews of birding throughout the Montezuma Wetlands
Complex and the fundamentals of photography.  Later, join us as we travel
around the Montezuma Wetlands Complex exploring our wintering bird's hot spots
while receiving expert photographing advice.  Space is limited and PRE-PAID
RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Fee: $50/adult.

Nov. 30, Friday 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Northern Montezuma Birding Van Tour
As the sun sets on a late autumn day, waterfowl are settling into Montezuma's
marshes and nocturnal raptors are getting ready to begin their dusk hunt. Hop
in our van for an excursion to the northern part of the Montezuma Wetlands
Complex to look for ducks, geese, swans, and wintering raptors. Binoculars, a
spotting scope, and field guides will be provided. Fee: $8/child; $15/adult,
$40/family. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

--
Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator

Montezuma Audubon Center