Audubon New York and Onondaga Audubon stood up for Onondaga Lake's Bald Eagles
last night at the NYSDEC public hearing regarding Onondaga County's proposed
Murphy's Island trail. 150 people attended and almost everyone was against the
trail. Thank you to everyone who attended the hearing and has submitted
comments. The deadline to submit comments to NYSDEC is 5 PM today, Thursday,
September 26. Comments should be emailed to Trendan Choe
dep...@dec.ny.gov<mailto:dep...@dec.ny.gov>.

Here are some points to highlight:
- We strongly recommend the NYSDEC deny Onondaga County's wetland permit
application to ensure there is no disturbance to the Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus
leucocephalus).
- Onondaga Lake has been recognized by Audubon as an Important Bird Area.
Onondaga Lake is a critical wintering area for thousands of waterfowl along the
Atlantic Flyway. Also, nearly 100 Bald Eagles listed as a New York State
threatened species, congregate near the open waters around Murphy's Island to
feed during the winter season, making it New York State's largest Bald Eagle
winter roost in an urban environment. Furthermore, several Bald Eagles now use
Murphy's Island year-round to rest, feed, and seek shelter.
- We are extremely concerned with the habitat destruction that Onondaga County
has already implemented on Murphy's Island, 31 trees were felled in November
2018, and the continued damage the County proposes to inflict through this
ill-advised project. To start, the County has not conducted a Bald Eagle survey
to study the potential impact of a trail on the winter roost and year-round
eagles. This must occur before any plan is implemented. Additionally, the
County has proposed to fell an additional 28 large trees, several of them are
18" to 20" diameter at breast height, which could be overstory trees. However,
the County has not properly determined the height or location of the 28 trees
to be felled. This must also occur before any plan is implemented.
- There is ample scientific evidence that concludes that human foot traffic is
the most disturbing to Bald Eagles when compared to other sources of human
disturbance (Grub and King 1991, Stalmaster and Kaiser 1998, and Hamann 1999).
Therefore, we believe Bald Eagle disturbance is likely during the construction
of a trail on Murphy's Island and when the trail is open to the public.
- In the past, the County has stated that one-quarter of the Onondaga Lake
shoreline (roughly from the Seneca River to Nine Mile Creek) is under a
conservation easement and that no further development will occur in this area
of the lake which establishes a wildlife sanctuary. This is not accurate. There
are several miles of multi-use trails, two shelters, the amphitheater, the NYS
Thruway and Interstate 690 in that area. Murphy's Island represents only 4% of
the Onondaga Lake shoreline and is the focal point for the nearly 100 wintering
Bald Eagles and several year-round eagles. Murphy's Island is the sanctuary for
Bald Eagles. It must be protected.
-We respectfully request the NYSDEC deny Onondaga County's wetland permit
application as we believe that any human foot or bicycle traffic on the island
is likely to disturb and flush the eagles. According to the NYSDEC Bald Eagle
Conservation Plan, NYSDEC's role is to maintain protection of our significant
wintering Bald Eagle population by identifying and protecting important
wintering areas, and reducing human disturbance. Additionally, the threat of
human activity and wintering area disturbances could lead to displacement,
decreased survival, or mortality. Why take this chance? Our national bird is
back from the brink of extinction and it should be celebrated and protected.

Here is a link to the application documents
https://fts.dec.state.ny.us/fts/sendfile.php...<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ffts.dec.state.ny.us%2Ffts%2Fsendfile.php%3Ffid%3D47059%26vercode%3D20d24a7a%26fbclid%3DIwAR2WW7l73_qleqDGKy5Shp3fEkFvHHYjOpn3V8jYVavDx_amCiSZMwwcSZk&h=AT2UC_daTqh0LjM0GF9QyQA_RF6O03AeYyqP9RNYCL9H5tKNSx11S_6_G_wHEaq6wLEDZHlBOuXsa9FDXu837FRCd6AlWDQqXf2b51Bt2UhbJ8sgmXoeIjnnvV1KaUemjXGKCImkaRchodOHgjcA8DWtuorunxl4jVXPSyVD50S3uWdCrN3xqleEGj9deeNs2EfbIvUKbvf2rP1bBuDCKl3qF1K-PKcMlOGfVMv4JenNi1yuUZ9NXGhGZYGZ-E89XIEZXby_1GWu151BKadOXjgXLjP7i0bsgwYgj7I3P5IyuXYVlNj3qnrTfEJLhBcn1aEyOISWoSyDUKEToMFMASfabWs6sFZZ8n_HvRgRFaKk3xwvt33I64TtDqSYxMfZDuxH7e44_uijk95XmM-OlME5eD6WgBvBRYDbvCKnh4bsbMwGEn4TtAnFPngKj0BztZQ69xnYtJb3RhjnQKzFd3uBqp_En5bJ0JfcG09D6YvUZ0e3DXKaZvtacQexlgzx5wkmzloaCa8YJ05Vvce38jdF4TmUnTqr8zhCXsfWJsrAPCvyNww3d0rues_hKlqfqKj0JxmvVCCwU3SHC1EWCThrOjByHx_Jt3qJJ74PF_7CaqV7uiwb-Q>.

Onondaga County administrators should also hear from you:

-Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon ryanmcma...@ongov.net

-Onondaga County Director of the Environment Travis Glazier
travisglaz...@ongov.net

-Onondaga County Legislature Chairman David Knapp
dknap...@aol.com<mailto:dknap...@aol.com>

Thank you for speaking up for the Bald Eagles.

--
Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator

Montezuma Audubon Center