On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Barret Rhoden <b...@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Thanks to Brian's efforts this summer, we have a working Go 1.4 port
> that passes all of the Go tests.  It's up to date with all the Akaros
> changes since our 1.3 port a few years ago, to include using SSH and
> execing test binaries across a 9p mount.

Nice!

Unfortunately syzkaller is not potentially portable to 1.4 as we have
lots of external dependencies.

> Check out the doc for how to use it and some of the more interesting
> bits of the port:
>
> https://github.com/akaros/go-akaros/blob/akaros/README.akaros
>
> My favorite is Usys: a mechanism to call into GCC / 2LS C code from Go
> code, similar to making a syscall on other OSes.  On Akaros, many parts
> of a traditional OS are done in userspace, and the mechanisms and
> concepts in userspace are analogous to OSes, with the classic example
> being vcore context ~= interrupt context.  Hence the name and much of
> the implementation - Usys: User-level Syscall.

Sounds like something else to stress test ;)

E.g. for fuchsia we now auto-generate syzkaller descriptions from fidl
service descriptions, so syzkaller knows how to connect to system
services and can talk to them with realistic contents. E.g.:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/sys/fuchsia/fidl_io.txt
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/sys/fuchsia/fidl_process.txt

> Although 1.4 is not the latest Go version, things like Usys and the
> work with signal handlers set us up for an easier transition to later
> versions of Go that have removed all Ken C code from the runtime.
> Additionally, 1.4 will always be around for bootstrapping.
>
> Barret
>
> P.S.   Obligatory Go Dot: 'ยท'
> P.P.S. "What is that syntax?!" --Brian, regarding the Go Dot

The first question I asked Ian when met him in person.