Hi Oleg,

your proposal is a bit futuristic in the sense that passing in failures as
normal messages is something that I am only experimenting with for Akka 3
at the moment ;-)

Regards,

Roland

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Oleg Zhurakousky <
oleg.zhurakou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if you consider Hot Swap Actor, then you could rely on
> become(behavior).
> Pseudo-coding:
> class CacheHotSwapActor extends Actor {
> def memCacheReceiveLoop:Receive = {
>  // your code
> }
> def redisReceiveLoop:Receive = {
>  // your code
> }
> def receive = {
>                case java.net.ConnectException =>
> become(memCacheReceiveLoop)
>                case ActorInitializationException =>
> become(memCacheReceiveLoop)
>                case _ => become(redisReceiveLoop)
>         }
> }
>
> At least this way you'd avoid vars and whatever problems it may lead to.
>
> Cheers
> Oleg
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Diego Balduini <
> nosferatored...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I want to swap between two cache implementations.
>> When the first fails, it swap to the second.
>> This is what i've came to. It works, but i wanna know if you guys have a
>> better way of doing this, because it seems that this solution is not a good
>> practice.
>>
>> // Actor
>>
>>   val redisActor = context.actorOf(Props[RedisActor], "redis")
>>   val memcachedActor = context.actorOf(Props[MemcachedActor], "memcached")
>>
>>   var cache: ActorRef = memcachedActor
>>   var state = 0
>>
>>   override def supervisorStrategy = {
>>     def swap() = state match {
>>       case 0 =>
>>         state = 1
>>         cache = redisActor
>>         Stop
>>       case _ => Escalate
>>     }
>>
>>     OneForOneStrategy(maxNrOfRetries = 10, withinTimeRange = 1 minute) {
>>       case e: java.net.ConnectException => swap
>>       case e: ActorInitializationException => swap
>>     }
>>   }
>>

>>  --
>>

>  --

Akka Team
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Blog: letitcrash.com
Twitter: @akkateam