Hi Christian,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Christian Kreutzfeldt <mnx...@gmail.com>wrote:

> *Hi*
>
> *I do work on a project where it is required to spawn new actors during
> runtime. Their implementation details as well as their configuration may be
> unknown during system startup as their code is deployed on-demand.*

What do you mean by deployed on demand? You do dynamic class-loading?

> *As we use custom mailboxes to hook our actors up with the data sources,
> the only way to read config options is to fetch them from the provided
> ActorSystem.Settings / Config parameters. I know how to extend the*
> *configuration prior instantiating a new ActorSystem but what I am looking
> for is a dynamic settings/configuration extension during runtime.*

Akka only reads the configuration during ActorSystem startup, it will not
pick up any changes until restart.

> *The idea is to extends the configuration providing the actor impl
> specific settings, call actorOf(Props.create(...)).withMailbox(...) and
> have the actor system provide the updated Settings and Configuration to
> our *
> *mailbox type.*

You can declare required mailbox types for your actors by extending
RequiresMessageQueue[...]:
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.3.2/scala/mailboxes.html#Mailbox_Selection
This might achieve what you want.

> *We could use a dedicated ActorSystem per actor/app but that's not the
> idea as they all run in a single JVM ... ;-)*
>
> *To nail down the question: is there a way to extend the settings /
> configuration of an already running ActorSystem during runtime?*

No, there is no support for changing the configuration after the system has
been started.

-Endre

> *Kind regards,*
> *  Christian*
>
>  --

Akka Team
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Blog: letitcrash.com
Twitter: @akkateam