Hi Matthew,

On 05.05.14 21:21, Matthew Howard wrote:
Has anyone implemented an akka persistence journal for older versions of Cassandra? I see the current journal is dependent on C* v2.0.3 or higher (https://github.com/krasserm/akka-persistence-cassandra) but my app is currently on 1.1.9 and we are only actively planning to upgrade to v1.2 (just found this out - I thought we were moving to 2).

I'm guessing there isn't one already out there, but thought I'd ask before attempting to implement one. Assuming I would need to implement it (probably a question for Martin directly) any warnings or recommendations? At first glance I'd obviously need to tweak the create keyspace/columnfamily commands (and change the driver), but I'm not seeing anything that appears to be too wildly dependent on C* v2.0.3 features. The handling of the partition_nr seems to be the biggest issue - I'm thinking we could just create the rowkey as a concatenation of the processor_id and partition_nr (e.g. "myprocessor-0", "myprocessor-1", etc... ). But I think/hope? otherwise the composite columns should work the same and I'm not going to get myself into a rabbit hole...

The partition_nr is needed to split rows across nodes, otherwise, all messages of a single processor are stored on the same node (given your rowkey design). This shouldn't be a problem with, let's say, < 1 billion messages per processor. However, if you want your processors to scale with a larger number of messages, there's no way around row splitting.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks in advance,
Matt Howard

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Akka User List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akka-user+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:akka-user+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to akka-user@googlegroups.com <mailto:akka-user@googlegroups.com>.

Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com
code:    http://github.com/krasserm
twitter: http://twitter.com/mrt1nz