Hi Roland,

sorry for the delay:

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:11:58 AM UTC+2, rkuhn wrote:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> 13 maj 2014 kl. 08:49 skrev Giovanni Ruggiero
> <giovanni...@eligotech.com<javascript:>
> >:
>
> On Saturday, May 10, 2014 3:30:42 PM UTC+2, rkuhn wrote:
>

>> 10 maj 2014 kl. 10:35 skrev Giovanni Ruggiero
>> <giovanni...@eligotech.<http://eligotech.com/>
>> com <http://eligotech.com/>>:
>>

>> What puzzles us is that the ask() message gets responded. It's the
>> returned Future that times out.
>>

>> If the Future times out, then the reason for that is that no reply was
>> sent within the timeout window. Are you sending to the right ActorRef?
>>

> Yes, as the same actor responds fine until the error appears.
>

>> Another strange thing is that after the first time out, all following
>> requests fail in the same manner.
>>

>> Are you using a CircuitBreaker?
>>

> No, we don't have any CircuitBreaker.
>
> Does your actor block or get stuck?
>>

> The server actor still works, because just restarting the client Play app
> solves the problem.
> The client app just returns the future time out, so I'm not sure how to
> respond to your question.
>

> Ah, this opens up new possibilities: if the actor actually responds (and
> sends the response to the right ActorRef), but the Future still times out,
> then that means that the message has been lost. You mention that this ask()
> crosses application boundaries, which I assume implies that remoting is
> used, and there it is entirely possible that the connection fails. When the
> failure detector triggers and the systems quarantine each other then no
> further communication will be possible (until you restart one of the
> systems).
>
> Yes we use remoting, but both components are on the same physical server,
just two different JVM.

> Which version of Play and Akka are you using? What are the configuration
> settings? Which kind of network is connecting the client and server apps?
> Do you use DeathWatch or create actors across the network connection?
> Please also scrutinize the logs, if my guess is correct you will find error
> messages from the remoting.
>
> We use Scala 2.10.0, Play 2.1.5 and Akka 2.2.4, but we are going to
upgrade to the last versions soon.
What kind of configuration are you referring?
Here is an excerpt of our configuration file:

harpoon {
  actor-system {
   akka {
      loggers=["akka.event.slf4j.Slf4jLogger"]
      loglevel=DEBUG
      stdout-loglevel=DEBUG
      remote {
        netty.tcp {
          transport-protocol=tcp
          hostname=${harpoon.application.services-host}
          connection-timeout=120 seconds
          all-timeout=120 seconds
        }
      }
      actor {
        provider="akka.remote.RemoteActorRefProvider"
        serialize-messages=on
      }
    }

  jobmanager {
    actor-system {
      akka {
        actor {
          debug {
            receive=on
            autoreceive=on
            lifecycle=on
          }
          remote.netty.tcp.port = 9303
        }
      }
    }
  }

  weblayer {
    actor-system {
      akka {
        remote.netty.tcp.port = 9302
      }
    }

    services {
      jobService =
"akka.tcp://JobManagerService@"${harpoon.application.services-host}":9303/user/jobService"
    }
  }
}

The logs in the "weblayer" component show the Future timeout. The logs in
the "jobmanager" component show nothing at all.

Thank you
Giovanni

Regards,