Hi Josh,
We didn't yet publish/document our actor / cluster protocols very
explicitly.
We'd like to do this at some point, so perhaps other impls could talk to an
akka cluster – no plans on when this might happen though.
This plays into an interesting story about exposing actors as services –
we're not there yet though.

As for arduino's... I guess using plain C there would be a better option
there?
There is an Akka inspired C implementation "libcppa" around, but that's for
in-memory AFAIR.
If you'd go down the road of making them a cluster you'll have to implemen
cluster memberships etc. (depends on use case again, but if they're "in the
field" that's probably not a good idea if they're on GPRS etc).

I'm not sure about your use-case, but perhaps using Raspberry Pi's would
fit this better?
They're able to run a JVM nicely and you could use Akka on them directly.

Konrad 'ktoso' Malawski
hAkker @ Typesafe

<http://typesafe.com>