Now that I think even more on the problem the more it seems that we're
trying to solve too much within a single flow.  There are concepts that
ought to be independent that we're forcing to become dependent.

I still like the independent streams model.  I'd start with that, but with
a realization that this is a low-level protocol.  A higher level protocol,
ought to deal with more advanced concepts, like auto-retry.

There's a *big assumption* that the httpMethod bypass was to support things
like that.  If not, then I'm going to start getting farther and farther off
base.

Hmm.  Yet, even with a full duplex stream of requests and responses,
implementing higher level stateful interactions tends to run into similar
problems.  "remembering" what actor ought to receive a given response once
it's read off the stream.  Easiest way to solve this would be to
encapsulate that addressing state into the response being returned.
 However, we need to work within the confines of the HTTP protocol and I'm
not sure the best way to implement that handback in that case (cookies?).