I was talking with a coworker and he has some custom behavior he can't
understand how to do anything useful without.
He want's an tell message (a') sent from A -> C to not allow actor A to
continue until after there is confirmation that A's message is in C's
mailbox.
This way if a sends (a'') to from A -> B and B sends a message (b') fro B
-> C that C should process messages always in the defined order a',b'.
I was looking at the mailboxes and it sees like even if you use the
UnboundedPriorityMailbox and it seems to me that with a tell message it
probably is not blocking the sending actor but some kind of internal
component of Akka.
So I'm thinking UnboundedPriorityMailbox breaks down when you start talking
remote actors and http actors in that the first one deserialized would
block the other one but not block the sender until the message is in the
mailbox.
Also I'm thinking that UnboundedPriorityMailbox will just order messages
sitting in the mailbox. If b' arrives before a', then b' may already be
removed from the mailbox and being processed which the blocking and
ordering of UnboundedPriorityMailbox will do nothing to help.
Could you help me understand this?
Is there anything built into Akka would give you this guarantee of order?
Or would I have to build this in yourself with some kind of ack system with
an ask vs a tell message waiting to send a'' until a' was ack'd as recieved
and delegated to another worker actor D?
My co-worker seems fixated on these aynch semantics because he want's it to
behave like an asynch queue of ActiveMQ and feels Akka should provide
something like that out of the box.
I told him I don't think so but you get all the tools to build it yourself
whatever semantics you want.

Thanks,
Shawn