One approach I use after watching Akka days videos, was to just create
small dispatchers for different types of tasks, say you have a set of
actors that persist to a relational database, create these actors on your
persistor-dispatcher for example, another example, say you have a single
supervisor that its only jobs is to forward messages to another set of
actors living in your own cache, for that a PinnedDispatcher is perfect
since that supervisor only needs 1 thread for ever and it needs to be fast
because the only thing it is doing is to forward messages, then there is
the fine grained configuration of your remote-dispatcher, etc.

I mean, I don't think there will be a solve-all the problems approach, but
pre-defining dispatchers ahead of time and have a shared conf file where
every module of your system extends will help, set the standard on the
project of what dispatcher should be used for what, that's at least how I
have it at the moment and I don't have to worry about some insert SQL
taking too long because such actor is running on a dispatcher where it
doesn't matter how long it takes.

Hope that helps,

Guido.