Akka clustering is built on top of akka remoting. The default serialization
used by remoting is terribly slow. Look into swapping it out with a third party
serializer. There are some linked/mentioned in the remoting docs.

Please post any results if a serializer change helps you. I know in my project
a 200k/sec spray http server gets 5k/s out of the default remoting layer.
Fortunately 5k is good enough for that service, so I haven't messed with the
serializer. Others have had good luck and Kryo seems popular.