David, does your flow contain an actual internal feedback loop? What I
understand from your description is that you have something like this:

{ tick source ~> mapAsync calling external service ~> } ~> consumer

And your return the Cancellable provided by the tick source as materialized
value as your flow's materialized value. I think in this case, calling
cancel() on that returned value should complete the whole flow without
problems. If this is not the case, it would be best if you showed some code
:)

By the way, is there an issue for producing custom materialized values from
user-defined graphs? I browsed through the 'streams-*' milestones and I was
unable to find it. Should I file one?

cheers,
Rafał