Hi,

Akka 2.4 is coming, bringing with it Persistence Queries, which for the
most part look really great. However, there are some issues with it that I
find problematic.

The first regards dependencies - 2.4.0 deprecates PersistentView, but the
recommended classes are part of an entirely different module, and that is
still experimental. On top of that, the new module depends on the stream
module, which is itself experimental. So what is someone more conservative
supposed to use?

The second issue is about migration from 2.3 to 2.4. In our application,
for example, we created stream Sources that wrap a PersistentView.
Obviously, there are a lot of drawbacks to this approach compared to the
Query approach, but there are advantages as well (for example: we don't
care which persistence plugin is used, and we know exactly which "queries"
are supported - all events belonging to a persistenceId).
Now, if we decide to migrate to 2.4, "our" classes become deprecated (or
rather, use deprecated APIs). We could switch to a Query-based
implementation, but then we have to contend with the issue of when (if at
all) plugins are updated to support the new API.

Bottom line, the way it looks right now, it would be hard for me to justify
switching over to using the new query API at the moment (even though I
*really* want to), so at least I hope PersistentViews won't go anywhere
anytime soon.

Tal