Hi Jochen,
The bounded mailboxes are designed around the idea that in Akka delivery is
at-most-once in any case (because network, and no re-delivery – unless you use
AtLeastOnceDelivery or do it yourself). So yeah, they're protecting the
receiver, nothing more - it's not a full-blown flow-control mechanism just an
overflow protection.

In that sense, they stick to what is core to Akka – messages may be dropped.
Replying a NACK ("hey, please slow down") on each dropped message in such
mailbox may sound interesting,
but in practice often you'd rather get back ACKs and base your sending of data
on those I think.

A NACKing mailbox is not something we have built in. It's something you could
write though (you can write a mailbox).

Konrad 'ktoso’ Malawski
Akka @ Typesafe

On 28 December 2015 at 17:24:24, Jochen Mader (jochen.ma...@codecentric.de)