It should work properly.
There was a PR refactoring that area, indeed:
https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/19066/files

Are you sure you don't have mixed up akka http dependencies or something like
that via messy dependencies?
You mention you looked at dependencyTree so that would show up there though
hm...

Konrad 'ktoso’ Malawski
Akka @ Typesafe