>From what I know, RS specify that a producer can only push data when there
is demand for it downstream, in order to avoid flooding the downstream.
Think about a case where the producer produces a huge amount of messages
before the downstream even time to react and ask it to throttle itself -
that could easily cause the downstream to crash.
This way, the if the downstream is able to handle, say, 1000 messages it
requests 1000 messages and the publisher can send 1000 messages as they
become ready. But in order to send the 1001st message, it would have to
wait for further requests from the downstream.

Hope this makes sense,
Tal