Yeah, agree with Patrik here.
It's mostly for `Future[Done]` and situations like that, void/Unit is still
fine in normal return values.

Konrad 'ktoso’ Malawski
Akka @ Lightbend

On 24 February 2016 at 13:35:02, Patrik Nordwall (patrik.nordw...@gmail.com)
wrote:

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM, rklaehn <rkla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Konrad,

So, if it wasn't for backward compatibility, the return type of tell would be
akka.NotUsed, to signal that successful return does not tell you anything about
successful processing of the message (akka.Done would certainly be wrong)?

That would be to take it one step to far, I would say. Ordinary methods should
still be declared with void (java) or Unit (scala) return types. Done and
NotUsed are mostly interesting when the return value is not immediate, such as
in a CompletionStage (java), Future (scala), or stream materialized value.

Cheers,

Rüdiger