I'm assuming you're using Java, please tell about this explicitly when asking
questions :-)

CompletionStage<...> futureResponse = http client calls thingy
akka.pattern.PatternsCS.pipe(futureResponse, context.dispatcher).to(self());
set a flag that you're waiting or become() into such state,
for all other messages than the piped one call stash().

Read about stash, pipe and become in the documentation (search box will help
:-))
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.4.4/java/untyped-actors.html#Ask__Send-And-Receive-Future
 etc

--