Lets say I create an actor that will serve JSON to an end user but that
actor returning the OverviewJson has to get data from three different
actors and wait for them all to return a response before proceeding. Now I
could create an actor that uses the ask patter to call all three other
actors but that seems like it might be a bit heavyweight. I don't like
using ask because of the concurrency involved. What I was wondering is if
anyone had ideas for doing this without ask. However, at some point i have
to return the data synchronously. After all the user is on the endpoint
waiting for a response so I cant just message them asynchronously.

One thought i had was to create a short term actor that send the messages
to the other actors in the preStart and then waited until it collected all
data with all three pieces collected and then returned to the user the
created info. This seems to be exactly what the Ask pattern does and so I
wonder if I am any better off then I would be just using Ask.

Thanks for the feedback.