I'd propose you open a ticket in that persons / projects github repo:
https://github.com/vrcod/akka-sample-twitter-streaming#master

It's more likely to result in some response the nearer to the project this
is communicated.
You also can submit a PR updating the deps, I'm sure the guy would be happy
about such initiative.

SBT dependencies look like they need to be updated for this Activator
Template:
http://www.lightbend.com/activator/template/akka-sample-twitter-streaming

2) The other project libraries need to be available at global Maven repo
which are compiled with Scala v2.12.x to include this bugfix:

https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/19418

1) why do you need Scala 2.12?

2) we do have published those artifacts for 2.12-M5:
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Ccom.typesafe.akka%7Cakka-http-experimental_2.12.0-M5%7C2.4.8%7Cjar

2.1) I would not expect many libraries closely follow Milestone releases –
again, looping back to 1) why do you think you need Scala 2.12?

3) I've posted my troubleshooting process to reach that theory in the
comments section here for more details:

http://www.lightbend.com/activator/template/akka-sample-twitter-streaming

Hopefully someone maintaining this template can comment on how to cleanup
the build.sbt?

I'd propose moving this to the repo's github.

Konrad `ktoso` Malawski
Akka <http://akka.io> @ Lightbend <http://lightbend.com>