Just to re-affirm what Justin wrote there.

Auto downing is "auto". It's dumb. That's why it's not safe.
The safer automatic downing modes ones are in
doc.akka.io/docs/akka/rp-16s01p05/scala/split-brain-resolver.html
Yes, that's a commercial thing.

If you don't want to use these, use EC2's APIs - they have APIs from which
you can get information about state like that.

--
Konrad `ktoso` Malawski
Akka <http://akka.io> @ Lightbend <http://lightbend.com>