D'oh, thanks! I went back and re-read the docs and now see that there's no
(easy) way to be notified on an Actor stop/restart. I'll roll my own
technique.

Follow-up question: why might it be that my supervisionStrategy is not
being used?

override def supervisorStrategy = {
  log.error("invoked")  // Never called
  SupervisorStrategy.stoppingStrategy