Thanks Rafał for these explanations. Just a small correction:

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:58:09 PM UTC+2, Rafał Krzewski wrote:
> An alternative solution would be looking up websocket buffering settings
> and jacking it up enough to receive all messages as Strict :)

Unfortunately, no, you cannot control whether you get Strict or Streamed.
It only depends on what has already arrived in the OS-level network buffer
and you cannot control how data might be split up there because it depends
on the timing of network packets arriving there.

(We want to add alternative ways of handling websocket traffic so that you
can actually specify a buffer size (and a timeout) for which akka-http will
collect data for you and you are guaranteed to receive only Strict
messages. We didn't get to that yet.)

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit