We have not changed any defaults in 2.4.17, i.e. it is wire compatible with
2.4.16. It will not be wire compatible if you change configuration to
akka.actor.allow-java-serialization=on.

It's interesting that some classes around remote deployment are still using
Java serialization. We have to look into that.

Patrik Nordwall
Akka Tech Lead
Lightbend <http://www.lightbend.com/> -  Reactive apps on the JVM
Twitter: @patriknw