On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Alan Burlison <alan.burli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I really like the "toolbox" approach of Akka but it can be a bit daunting
> to be given a box of spanners and then be expected to go build a car ;-)

Yeah, understood.  It's useful to keep in mind that Akka *is* a moderately
low-level toolkit; most of us who use it heavily are clear on that.  The
great thing about Akka is that it doesn't lie to you about where the hard
problems are (as opposed to many frameworks that basically brush things
under the rug), but it means you do have to wrestle with them.

This is why stuff like Akka-HTTP has started to happen: that's a much
higher-level framework built on *top* of Akka proper.  I expect more such
to appear in the coming years.

(Don't have any book recommendations personally, I'm afraid -- I've been
using Akka since before it was named Akka, so I don't have the right
perspective to know what's good to start out...)