FWIW, I'm reviving this thread to share that I've opened a PR with a
working example with Mesos in akka-samples [1].

I was excited to see that it's actually quite straight forward to get this
working in Mesos, thanks to its Marathon framework, and the APIs
facilitating auto-discovery of the seed-nodes.

For whoever wants to try it, the PR also contains a docker-compose for
spinning a Mesos environment locally, using docker-machine.

HTH,
dragos

[1] - https://github.com/akka/akka-samples/pull/37