The section below appears to be the phase where the shard gives up entities
it owns.  I was wondering about this process when the member is the
ShardCoordinator.  Is the shard coordinator still running until the shards
are all rebalanced?  I'm interested when the shard coordinator and other
singletons are restarted on another shard.  For availability to be
minimally impacted, I was hoping that everything in the shard would be
moved first, then the coordinator would be started on another node and
await a final handoff from the old coordinator thereby limiting the gap in
time of not having a coordinator.

http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.5.3/java/actors.html#coordinated-shutdown

# Graceful shutdown of the Cluster Sharding regions.
  cluster-sharding-shutdown-region {
    timeout = 10 s
    depends-on = [before-cluster-shutdown]
  }