Off the top of my head: not sure how you are getting the parameters, if
any, to getNextItem, but since xxAsync methods like Source.unfoldAsync and
mapAsync expect a future-returning function, I would use getNextItem
(rather than identity) in one of  those to give you downstream elements of
type Option[A] and then use filter or map or collect to deal with the
Option-ness.