Could I ask you to move the question to discuss.akka.io?
Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Konrad 'ktoso <http://kto.so>' Malawski

On May 17, 2018 at 18:26:11, gutzeit (gutz...@gmail.com) wrote:

Dear list members,

My company runs a large scale deployment (hundreds of JVMs) based on Akka,
deployed in different regions globally, while some of the services are
communicating using Akka Remoting (TCP, not artery).
As it goes, global cloud deployments suffer from occasional disconnections
between different regions, total disconnections or severe packet loss. We
expect things to be shaky while network disruption happens, but we also
expect everything to go back to normal, when storm passes.

Observing the logs we see many instances of the following:

*Tried to associate with unreachable remote address
[akka.tcp://systemName b@192.168.236.12:2558
<http://b@192.168.236.12:2558>]. Address is now gated for 5000 ms, all
messages to this address will be delivered to dead letters. Reason:
[The remote system has quarantined this system. No further associations to
the remote system are possible until this system is restarted.]*

*AssociationError [akka.tcp://com-company-resource-sip@192.168.222.36:2558
<http://com-company-resource-sip@192.168.222.36:2558>] ->
[akka.tcp://systemName@192.168.236.11:2558
<http://systemName@192.168.236.11:2558>]: Error [Invalid address:
akka.tcp://M systemName@192.168.236.11:2558 <http://192.168.236.11:2558>] [
akka.remote.InvalidAssociation: Invalid address:
akka.tcp://systemName@192.168.236.11:2558 <http://192.168.236.11:2558>
Caused by:
akka.remote.transport.Transport$InvalidAssociationException: The
remote system has quarantined this system.
No further associations to the remote system are possible until this system
is restarted. ]*

Reading Akka Remoting documentation, those errors mean that the two remote
actor system in question would never be able to communicate with each
other, unless the systems are restarted.

What is a proper expected way of recovering from those situations? It does
not sound logical to me that I need to restart all nodes of the system
every time network disconnection occurs, what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Dima Gutzeit

** More details: